Number one: pharmacists are an integral part of the healthcare team…
Early career pharmacists in the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) and the International Pharmaceutical Students Federation (IPSF) have examined what it means to be a pharmacist for future generations.
They published their list of 10 reasons for being a pharmacist in the Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research:
- Pharmacists are a vital member of healthcare team
- Delivering pharmaceutical care directly to patients
- Constant innovation using new and emerging technologies
- Making a difference, providing the human touch
- Emergency relief, providing access to essential medicines, pharmaceutical care
- Healthcare liaison between other healthcare workers and the public
- Change leaders through pharmacist‐led interventions
- Preventive care
- Influencing healthcare policies
- Many roles, one goal: bringing safe and effective medicines to those in need
“The era of a pharmacist as solely a manufacturer or dispenser of medicines is long gone,” they say.
“Opening doors and expanding definitions are just what we need.
“With the timely inclusion of newer technologies and providing innovative solutions, pharmacists will continue to be vital members of the healthcare system.”
Read the full article here