Student winners from across the Tasman

The competition finalists.

A common rivalry was seen in this year’s National Student Business Plan Competition, with standout presentations from UTS and University of Auckland finalists

Three teams battled for the top spot in the National Student Business Plan Competition finals held at Pharmacy Connect conference on Friday.

One Australian team and two teams from New Zealand had made the finals of the rigorously judged competition—”it’s a proud rivalry,” said host Colm Maguire, Group Executive Pharmacy Transformation at the Pharmacy Guild of Australia.

Know Your Genes Pharmacy, comprising University of Auckland students Hunter Amende, Tiffany Cao, Peggy Lok and Jordan Anderson, won the overall award judged by David Beaton from EBOS Group, Katie O’Connor from RSM, PharmaDotCom general manager Aaron D’Souza and 2018 Pharmacy of the Year winner Luke van der Rijt.

The award was announced at the conference cocktail party held on Friday night, with the winning team receiving a trophy and $7000 in prize money.

The Kiwi student group cleaned up the competition, also taking home the EBOS People’s Choice Award.

Their pharmacy business idea was providing a pharmacogenetic testing service.

“According to research, medication seems to only work as intended in about 60% of the population. For the other 40%, they either have adverse effects or little to no effect at all,” they explained in their presentation.

“Medications in which genetic testing can play a vital role as to whether it’s the right medication or the right dose for the patient.”

Runners up Sunscope Pharmacy included University of Auckland students Charlotte Nankivell, Junting Wei, Caitlin Webby and Tayla Cherry won $5000 for their mole mapping and skin checking service idea.

Third group Health Key Pharmacy was represented by University of Technology Sydney students Jasper Ho, Naila Mubeen, Pauline Ngo and Luke Bradford.

The Australian finalists pitched an idea called Skin First, which involved providing services for skin conditions such as eczema as well as an outreach program to educate the community on skin health.

They were commended for making it to the finals of the competition.

The Pharmacy Guild hosts the national competition each year, with the objective of assisting pharmacy students in gaining the skills required to approach the task of owning or managing a pharmacy through the development of a business plan.

Previous The week in review
Next What the Guild wants

NOTICE: It can sometimes take awhile for comment submissions to go through, please be patient.

No Comment

Leave a reply