A pharmacy at Cairns Hospital was evacuated and pharmacy workers treated after a chemical spill late last week
The Cairns Post reports that four pharmacy staff members were treated for “minor symptoms” after vapour leaked from a bottle of bone cement.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services attended the pharmacy in D Block just after 11am on Friday.
According to Nursing and Midwifery executive director Denise Patterson, the transit lounge in that block of the hospital was closed, while six patients were moved to a different area of the hospital.
“Some pharmacy staff were sent to the Emergency Department as a precaution,” she told reporter Andrea Falvo.
The incident was initially suspected of having been related to a chemical spill of the anaesthetic Sevorane Inhalational.
Emergency Services soon identified the leak and contained the bottle of bone cement. The pharmacy was declared safe to reopen shortly afterwards, at 12.30pm.
There was no impact on patients and services and the four pharmacy staff were soon discharged.