Pharmacist assaults woman in consult room

legal law case justice crime

A Sydney pharmacist pleaded guilty to a charge of sexual intercourse without consent

Warning: this article contains details that may distress some readers

Mainstream media have reported on the case of a 47-year-old pharmacist who was working at a store on 1 July 2019, when a 19-year-old woman went to the pharmacy for a consultation.

After this encounter, a police investigation was begun and on July 24, after attending Mascot Police Station, the pharmacist was arrested.

He was later charged with a series of offences, two of which were later dropped. He initially pleaded not guilty to all three charges, but has now changed his plea to guilty on the most serious charge: sexual intercourse without consent.

After he was charged, the pharmacist’s registration was suspended by the Pharmacy Council of NSW, a decision which he then successfully appealed.

He was then permitted to practise provided he not interact with patients or customers in the course of his duties.

However, this decision was overturned in June 2020.

Late 2019 court documents show that the Civil and Administrative Tribunal NSW, in making the decision to allow him to practise under certain conditions, heard particulars of the allegations made against him.

These court documents outline that on the evening of 1 July 2019, the date the assault took place, a 19-year-old woman went to the pharmacy in Mascot, Sydney to ask about emergency contraception.

After speaking with a female pharmacy assistant, the woman said she was asked to wait for the only pharmacist on duty at the time, and he led her to a private consultation room, which was constructed of frosted glass, so that those outside could not see in.

The woman said that the pharmacist had discussed whether she had had sexual intercourse resulting in the possibility of pregnancy, and she said she could not remember because she and her partner had both been drunk.

She said that the pharmacist said he wanted to conduct an examination to see whether her partner had ejaculated inside her, and that he inserted his finger into her vagina several times.

She also said that he squeezed her right breast and rubbed her buttocks.

The woman said that she had moved away from the pharmacist and tried to call her boyfriend while she was still in the consultation room, but the pharmacist tried to stop her and there was an argument.

She said she then spoke to other staff members about the incident, and called the police, who arrived at the pharmacy and arrested the pharmacist.

The pharmacist denied that an assault had taken place and said he had only touched the woman on her left shoulder to try and calm her down.

But later, a DNA profile matching that of the female customer was located on the pharmacist’s index finger.

The pharmacist has been allowed to stay out on bail before his sentencing following an unsuccessful bid by the Crown prosecutor to have him taken into custody.

He is required to report to police three times a week and not to make any attempt to contact his victim.

He is due to be sentenced in March 2021.

For crisis support or suicide intervention services call Lifeline on 13 11 14 (24/7) or visit here 

Suicide Call Back Service: Call 1300 659 467 (24/7) or go here

Pharmacists’ Support Service: PSS is available every day of the year between 8am and 11pm EST on 1300 244 910 or here

Previous Signing off as a new beginning looms
Next Are pharmacists wary of the COVID vaccine?

NOTICE: It can sometimes take awhile for comment submissions to go through, please be patient.

No Comment

Leave a reply