Position vacant: PDL is looking for an additional national professional officer
Pharmaceutical Defence Limited (PDL) is a member owned organisation supporting around 30,000
pharmacist members and the pharmacy profession. The leading risk advisors to the profession, PDL’s
incident support service is dedicated to members around the clock, for confidential, expert advice.
The professional indemnity policy for pharmacists provided by PDL covers everything in the scope of
pharmacy and is tailored to meet the evolving needs of members working in a range of pharmacy
We are seeking a Professional Officer to provide member support and advice in the event of a
medication error, and risk management advisory services for the pharmacy profession.
With a focus on developing research papers and submissions to support medication safety within
the profession, this role would potentially suit a pharmacist with some policy, research or academic
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, other key internal relationships include the three other
Professional Officers, State Directors, and Local Advisory Committees (LACs).
You will provide professional services focusing on:
- Providing member support and advice in the event of a dispensing error or other notifiable
event and actioning PDL members’ Notifications of Incidents (NOIs).
- Collating, filing and classifying NOI information and reconciling and reporting upon statistics.
- Risk management and advocacy work for the pharmacy profession in consultation with
relevant regulatory and other pharmacy organisations.
- Mentoring of pharmacists, in line with the PDL Mentoring Program.
- Other duties as required.
- Effective and valued peer support fostering strong engagement with pharmacy members in
the event of an incident.
- Contribution to policy development and application.
- Minimised level of medication safety errors for the profession nationally.
- Improved risk management outcomes for the pharmacy profession.
- Strong rapport with other relevant pharmacy organisations, insurers and legal practitioners to achieve optimal outcomes.
- Receive and action PDL members’ notifications of incidents (NOIs) in all jurisdictions as
- Collate, file and classify NOI information and reconcile and report upon statistics.
- Review, analyse, report upon and implement recommended strategies to address adverse
- Liaise with LAC members on relevant matters in their jurisdiction.
- This position will also involve other tasks such as attending pharmacy seminars, conferences,
and student/intern sessions as the PDL representative.
- Strategic support/advice and assistance to management executives.
- Handle information with discretion and confidentiality.
- May Chair a Local Advisory Committee (LAC).
- Engagement with LACs and State Directors e.g. preparation of data prior to LAC meetings
with analysis of incidents and comparisons to national reporting, updates from Directors
regarding State-specific issues.
- Assist with developing and presenting targeted submissions, presentations, articles,
newsletters, Practice Alerts, webinars and the like to various pharmacy forums in relation to
areas of risk and liability.
- Follow up contact with members involved in significant incidents or regulatory notification.
- Liaising with Guild Insurance and their legal providers providing better insight into outcomes
for members involved in regulatory investigation.
- Handling some of the simpler regulatory matters and other incident notifications on behalf
of the insurer.
- Assessment and review of online reporting processes and member feedback.
- Must hold AHPRA general registration.
- Availability for after business hours support for members, on a roster basis.
- Ability to work effectively within a small, cohesive and geographically dispersed team.
- Have a strong understanding of pharmacy procedures.
- Understanding of working in a range of pharmacy settings.
- Previous pharmacy ownership or management in pharmacy is desirable but not essential.
Applications Close 12th January 2021
How to Apply
Applications, including a current cv, are to be emailed to the CEO, David Brown, at: email@example.com.
For more information or to ask any questions, please email the CEO, David Brown via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0403 892 961.