Seven key statistics that show the state of community pharmacy
The Pharmacy Guild of Australia’s latest Survey of Independent Pharmacy Operations in Australia has provided a statistical snapshot of the state of community pharmacy.
Published in full in the latest members-only Guild Digest, the statistical overview covers the 2014/15 financial year.
Highlights from the findings include:
- There is one pharmacy for every 4236 Australians
- Rural pharmacies account for 16% of the 5510 community pharmacies around Australia
- An average community pharmacy is open for 60.7 hours per week
- The average pharmacy opens for 10 hours a day during the week
- Pharmacy professional services, pharmacy only medicines and OTC products account for 34% of the average revenue per pharmacy
- The pharmacy sector directly employs 69,175 staff, including proprietors
- In a sample of 313 pharmacies, salaries had decreased as a cost by 0.5% since the previous financial year, while rent costs increased by 0.6% over the same period.
Click here to see the survey’s findings on decline pharmacy sales figures.