Union issues nationwide call for people not to enter pharmacies if they have symptoms, as list of exposure sites grows and pharmacists start vaccinating
Professionals Pharmacists Australia (PPA) has issued an urgent nationwide call for people not to enter pharmacies if they have symptoms or suspect they have been exposed to COVID-19.
PPA President Geoff March said that as pharmacies in both New South Wales and Victoria were listed as exposure sites during the most recent outbreaks of the COVID-19 Delta variant—and many pharmacies are forced to continue operating in COVID-19 ‘hotspots’—it’s clear that patients must take extra caution to ensure they’re not spreading the virus to pharmacy workers or vulnerable community members.
“Pharmacies play an absolutely critical role in supporting community health and it’s vital that the health of the pharmacy workforce is not compromised so that these important services can continue to be delivered,” said Dr March.
“Additionally, pharmacies are often attended by people who are more vulnerable due to their health issues, so it is particularly important that they are not exposed to the COVID virus.
“We urge every member of the public to think carefully before you enter a pharmacy. Ask yourself if you have even the slightest symptoms and whether you think you have been exposed to the COVID-19 virus.
If you think the answer might be yes, do not enter a pharmacy and put others at risk. Instead, head to a testing facility to receive a COVID-19 test.
“In NSW and Victoria, always wear a mask, use the appropriate QR code to check-in and comply with all public health orders when entering pharmacy premises,” urged Dr March.
He asked pharmacy customers with respiratory symptoms who are unsure of what to do to seek advice by calling the pharmacy instead of visiting.
Dr March said that with the vaccine rollout now being extended to community pharmacies across the country, the public and the profession needs to redouble its efforts to keep pharmacists and the community safe.
“The vaccine rollout is now being extended to community pharmacies and that’s welcome news, but it does mean an increase in the number of customers visiting their local pharmacy so it’s absolutely critical that we get this right,” he said.
“To ensure pharmacies can continue to safely administer the vaccine to Australians, we urge customers to think carefully before visiting their local pharmacy, to protect pharmacists and vulnerable members of the community.”
The following pharmacies are on the Victorian Government watch list:
Tier 1 sites – Get tested immediately and quarantine for 14 days from exposure:
- Edgewater Boulevard Pharmacy, 46 Edgewater Blvd, Maribyrnong, Friday 9 July 2:30pm – 3:40pm
- Chemist Warehouse Maribyrnong, 4/44-56 Hampstead Road, Maidstone, Monday 12 July 5:10pm – 5:50pm
- Olsen Place Pharmacy, 13 Olsen Place, Broadmeadows, Thursday 15 July 3:25pm – 4:15pm
Tier 2 sites – Get tested urgently and isolate until you have a negative result:
- Chemist Warehouse Karingal, 332-334 Cranbourne Road, Frankston, Monday 12 July 8:30pm – 8:50pm
- HealthSmart Pharmacy Victoria Parade, 55 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy, Friday 16 July 3:30pm – 4:15pm
The following pharmacies are on the NSW Health watch list:
Close contact sites – Anyone who attended these premises is a close contact and must immediately get tested and isolate for 14 days, regardless of the result:
- Terry White Chemmart, Shop 16/19-29 Marco Avenue, Revesby, Tuesday 6 July 8am – 3pm
- St Andrews Pharmacy, Shop 4-5/91 Ballantrae Drive, St Andrews, Wednesday 7 July 8.30am – 3.30pm
- Fairfield Heights Pharmacy, 275 The Boulevarde, Fairfield Heights, Tuesday 6 July 11.45am – 12.30pm
- Chemist Warehouse, 18/1 Broadway, Punchbowl, Thursday 8 July 9.20am – 9.40am; Thursday 8 July 2.30pm – 3pm
- Priceline, The Valley Plaza 2, 189 Wilson Road, Green Valley, Friday 9 July 2.30pm – 3.15pm
- Penna’s Green Valley Pharmacy, 174 Green Valley Road, Green Valley, Saturday 10 July 1.05pm – 1.15pm; Sunday 11 July 3.15pm – 3.25pm
Casual contact sites – Anyone who attended the following venues at the times listed is a casual contact who must immediately get tested and isolate until a negative result is received:
- Chemistworks Wetherill Park, 561-583 Polding St, Wetherill Park, Sunday 4 July 5.30pm – 6.30pm; Monday 5 July 11.30am – 12.15pm; Saturday 10 July 2:45pm to 3:45pm; Thursday 15 July 2.15pm – 2.30pm
- Chemist Warehouse, 821-825 Pennant Hills Rd, Carlingford, Monday 5 July 12.45pm – 1.15pm
- The Valley Pharmacy, 4 Benaud Pl Telopea, Tuesday 6 July 3pm – 3.30pm
- Priceline Pharmacy, World Square, Sydney Ground level, 9/644 George Street, Thursday 8 July 5.30pm – 6pm
- Fairfield Forum Pharmacy, 8/9 Station Street, Fairfield, Thursday 8 July 12.50pm – 5pm; Friday 9 July 1.45pm – 2.05pm
- Chemist Warehouse Maroubra, 229-231 Maroubra Road, Maroubra, Monday 5 July 9.55am – 10.30am
- Your Discount Chemist, Shop 1/19 Boronia Rd Greenacre, Monday 5 July 2pm – 2.15pm; Tuesday 6 July 1.55pm – 2.05pm
- Chemist Warehouse Westfield Hurstville, 216B/218A Westfield Drive, Hurstville, Tuesday 6 July 2.25pm – 3.15pm
- Georges Hall Pharmacy, 1/195 Birdwood Rd Georges Hall, Monday 5 July 2pm – 2.30pm
- Boulevarde Pharmacy, 170 The Boulevarde, Fairfield Heights, Saturday 10 July 9am – 10am; Tuesday 13 July 10am – 11am
- Pharmacy 4 Less, Bankstown Central, 1 North Terrace, Bankstown, Friday 9 July 9am – 9.15am
- Health Save Pharmacy, 183A Ramsgate Road, Ramsgate, Wednesday 7 July 5pm – 5.40pm
- Chemist Warehouse, 8 Kenyon Street, Fairfield, Wednesday 7 July 2.45pm – 3.40pm; Monday 5 July 1.45pm – 2pm; Monday 5 July 12pm – 2pm
- Chemist Warehouse, 135 Oxford Street, Bondi Junction, Monday 5 July 12.45pm – 1.15pm
- Priceline Wetherill Park, Stockland Wetherill Park, Polding Street, Wetherill Park, Saturday 10 July 1pm – 2pm
- Elias Pharmacy, 37-41 Ware Street, Fairfield, Thursday 8 July 3.30pm – 3.35pm
- O’Loughlin’s Medical Pharmacy, St Ives Shopping Village, 166 Mona Vale Road, St Ives, Friday 9 July 6:00pm to 6:30pm
- Priceline Pharmacy, Stockland Mall, Shop, 1090 McFarlane Street, Merrylands, Monday 12 July 1pm – 2pm
- Terry White Chemmart, Shop 16/19-29 Marco Avenue, Revesby, Wednesday 14 July 10.05am – 10.10am
- Fairfield Heights Pharmacy, 275 The Boulevarde, Fairfield Heights, Monday 12 July 4.30pm – 6pm
- The Discount Drug Store, 50 Simmat Avenue, Condell Park, Monday 12 July 11.25am – 11.35am
- Chemist Warehouse Parramatta, 202 Church St Parramatta, Wednesday 14 July 3.30pm – 4.30pm Thursday 15 July 10.30am – 11am
Monitor for symptoms – Anyone who attended the following venues at the times listed must monitor for symptoms and if they occur get tested immediately and self-isolate until you receive a negative result:
- Southgate Pharmacy, Southgate Shopping Centre, Princes Highway and Port Hacking Road, Sylvania, Tuesday 6 July 11:05am to 11:20am
- Chemist Warehouse, Crossroads Homemaker Centre, 15/5 Parkers Farm Place, Casula, Friday 9 July 1:20pm to 1:30pm
- Priceline Pharmacy, 764 Old Princess Highway, Sutherland, Monday 12 July 3:40pm to 4:00pm
- Chemist Warehouse, 135 Oxford Street, Bondi Junction, Saturday 10 July 9.15am – 9.25am
- Galluzzo’s Chemist, Shop 11, 14/247 Belmore Road, Riverwood, Monday 12 July 10.50am – 11am
- Cincotta Chemist Engadine, 1097 Old Princes Highway, Engadine, Monday 12 July 12.25pm – 12.40pm