How many pharmacists are currently registered? How many signed up for the pandemic response register? Here’s the latest data
The Pharmacy Board of Australia has released its latest quarterly data profiling Australia’s pharmacy workforce.
Here’s a snapshot of some of the key numbers – at 30 September 2020:
- There were 34,580 registered pharmacists in Australia (up from 32,035 in September 2019, but see 3rd point).
- Of these, 31,794 had general registration, 1,801 had provisional registration and 970 had non-practising registration.
- 1,952 pharmacists that form part of the short-term pandemic response sub-register were included in the number of pharmacists holding general registration.
- 62.7% of all registered pharmacists were female (highest in ACT 66.4%, lowest in Tasmania 59.7%)
- 6,964 registered pharmacists were aged 30-34 years, the largest demographic group
- 1,721 registered pharmacists were aged 25 years and under
- 1,209 registered pharmacists were aged 70 years and over
- In March 2012, the earliest data listed on the Board site, there were 26,434 registered pharmacists, 57.3% of whom were female).