Crime roundup: robbery charges, defibrillators stolen

A man has been charged over an alleged armed robbery in Hobart’s northern suburbs

Mainstream media have released dramatic footage of the arrest of a man after he allegedly held up a pharmacy in Montrose.

The footage shows police officers repeatedly ordering the man to drop a knife until he was knocked over by a police car, disarmed, restrained and arrested.

Police say that they were called to the Guardian Pharmacy in Montrose just after 9am on Wednesday “after a man allegedly demanded property”.

After they arrived at the pharmacy, the man produced a knife, police said.

“The man was not injured during the incident. No staff members at the pharmacy or members of the public were physically injured.

“Two police officers were injured during the incident and are receiving medical treatment.”

Police say that as is normal practice, Professional Standards has been advised and will review the circumstances surrounding the incident.

ABC News spoke to nearby grocery store owner Dean Willcock, who said that “We just heard all these police cars arrive and then we poked our head out the front of the shop and a man was coming out of the chemist with a knife”.

“Police asked him for a fair while to put the knife down.”

Mr Willcock also stressed that the pharmacy has not experienced such an incident before and it seemed “pretty random”.

Detective Inspector Troy Morrisby said that, “I can’t stress highly enough that the decisions made in this matter ultimately lead to an excellent outcome where the person was safely taken into custody and no members of the public were injured.”

Meanwhile in NSW, the Great Lakes Advocate has reported on the theft of three public access defibrillators from Coomba Park and Pacific Palms during the Easter long weekend.

One of the stolen defibrillators was located at the Pacific Palms Pharmacy at Blueys Beach.

Pacific Palms SLSC grants officer, Pat Powell, said that the thefts exposed community members to considerable risk.

“If somebody had a heart attack and you had to wait an hour for an ambulance to get here, it could be the difference between life and death,” she said.

“The beauty of them was that anybody could use them.”

Also in NSW, a woman has been charged after she allegedly spat in the face of her treating doctor at Hornsby earlier this week.

On Monday 13 April 2020, a 35-year-old woman was admitted to a hospital in Hornsby where she was seeking treatment for a large laceration to her arm.

The treating emergency physician commenced treatment to her wound when she allegedly spat in his face and became aggressive.

The doctor called for assistance and the woman was treated before being released.

The incident was reported to officers at Kuring Gai Police Area Command and the woman was later arrested at her Hornsby home. She was taken to Hornsby Police Station where she was charged with common assault.


Previous Cleaning, distancing, split teams and more
Next Clinical Tips: Testosterone replacement

NOTICE: It can sometimes take awhile for comment submissions to go through, please be patient.

No Comment

Leave a reply